The Orthodox Cathedral of 'Saints Peter and Paul' is located in the peninsular area of the city Constanta and it was built after the plans of architect Ion Mincu, between 1883 and 1885.
The foundation stone was laid on the 4th of September 1883, during the service of the metropolitan bishop Iosif Gheorghian. The sanctification of the church was made on the 22nd of May 1895. In the park, which surrounds the cathedral, there is an archeological complex inside which are located elements from the old city of Tomis.
The cathedral was built in a neo-byzantine style, out of pressed bricks, and it is an impressive edifice due to its monumental façade and its 35 meters high tower. The painting, inside the cathedral, was remade during 1959 and 1961, by Gheorghe Popescu and Niculina Dona – Delavrancea. The frescos are painted in the same neo-byzantine style, with a Romanian coloratura. The neo-byzantine sculpture is represented through the altarpiece, the pews and the chandeliers, the candelabrums and the candlesticks, made from an alloy of bronze and brass, also designed by Ion Mincu and made in Paris.
A beloved treasure of the parishioners belonging to this holy abode is the reliquary of Saint Great Martyr Panteleimon's relics, brought from the Near East and donated to the Tomis Episcopal Church by priest Dimitrie Popescu in 1931. After de discovery of Saint Epictetus and Saint Astion's holy relics in August 2001, the inhabitants of Constan?a and all the parishioners of the cathedral are being blessed by these precious treasures, which defend the worship place. Also, the cathedral shelters the holy relics of Saint Auxentius and the holy relics of Saint Simeon the Stylite and the miraculous icon of the Holy Mother, painted after an icon brought from the Holy Mountain, at the Dur?u Monastery.
Since the 1st of December 2001, the Archdiocesan Cathedral is an archdiocesan church with a monastic characteristic. This fact allows the performing of church services following the monastic rituals.